Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I don't read the local papers anymore, so i get the idea from the postings, yes being on the inside for 25 years i been both in the Cabiney system, outside it, in the administration and in opposition, and see what went on.

In all honesty the full council which is often quoted, is, like the prime ministers question time the worst advert for politics, and its good that public don't attend, cos if they did even more would be switched off.

It Isn.t a true reflection of politicians either.
    Many local politicians work closely in different committee's and in the wider communities, let me give yo a few examples;

CHANNEL TUNNEL RAIL LINK
    Gwyn prosser as the Labour MP lobbied for the channel tunnel rail to come to Dover as did local labour/tory local politicians, and by working together, what looked at times like a lost cause, these politicians worked together and achieved.

LOCAL TRANSPORT
    For years as chair of public transport c/ttee(unfortunatly before the tories abolished it cos they couldn't get a majority on it)
    this committee worked together and got a lot o good results.
    major changes to the buses, the present bus service has improved but the local Labour/tories cllrs worked together and on this c/ttee you often if you sat in as a member of public not knowing the cllrs parties, would think it was all one political party, as it was rare for disagreement as all were working for the better good for local people.
    I worked closely with our sue, and many times Roger on this c/ttee for the better good of Dover/District residents.

ASYLUM
    This was an issue not wanted to be touched, but under Jim Hood(labour chair at the time)he took it on and a very good meeting took place, and leading people called in and questioned and a report provided from it.

So where does it go wrong?

Well heres a few things tha go wrong and in my humble view need improving;

1; Needs to be a more gron up modern way of presenting prime ministers question time, it is not a good advert
    for politics, and im not saying everyone should agree, but seeing hundreds of elected MP's acting like they were
    in the playground doesn't do much to get people involved

2; Although on a national scale we don't have much control over it, any party with a big majority doesn't work
    Maggie had it, and she became a control freak and stopped listening to anyone around her
    Blair in the end went the same way.
    a hung parlianment is probably the best for people, or a lot closer in power)(say 1 or 2 majority)

3; on the local scene whilst on the council and the debate on the new cabinet system being introduced
    Labour at the time was in control of the council, and internally I warned the then leader and others that whilst
    it probably suits at the time, in time(like we see today)labour could lose that majority and labour will rue the
    decision to bring in such a system.
    It isn't good for democracy, 10 people or so make the decisions, the 35 are realy out in the cold.
    Yes theres a scrutiny committee but it has only ever been played lip service to by who ever was in control.
    a county level we see 2 or 3 people running KCC and making decisions whilst 80 odd KCC members are excluded
    because thats how the cabinet system works,
    But the cabinet system or other such like systems were in proposed, not modernisation of the c/ttee structure
    whilst the c/ttee structure was outdated, the cabinet system is not good for democracy

On an even more local level Roger and I and other politicians work together in Priory, we wont always agree, but in the main most subjects get 100% cross party support.
    and we see this happening every day.

So its not all doom and gloom.
    If we move away from boring people(hope i havn't) and start looking at how people can work together as politicians, as non political people, and local residents, much can be achieved.

Don't judge politicians on either prime ministers question time
    or District full council meetings
    it isn't always a full picture.

I'm always looking for the brighter future and live for that vision.

end link