Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Let's be fair, Paul Scotchie, I did write that we already have war memorials in Dover, including at the seafront, to commemorate people who have given their lives in the two Wars, and that we quite rightly have these memorials.

My point was whether we need another one in 2011 to commemorate a single action that took place in the 40's. I believe that people from Europe passing through Dover along the Seafront, seing yet another war-action memorial in place in our day and age going back to the Second World War, could receive a mixed bag of messages.

I recall watching a few years back a programme on TV, when a German warship from the 40's was located at the bottom of the sea. I'm not sure if it was the Bismark, could have been. Veteran sailors from Germany and Britain, who once opposed each other, both took part in a commemorative celebration for the dead German sailors, although I can't remember the details. They had some kind of plaque placed at the sea-bed.

The Germans also feel sad about the loss of the many British sailors of the Hood.
    In the 70's I recall seeing on TV a meeting of veteran British and German pilots who talked together and commemorated the fallen pilots.

There are times when people feel the need to heal the wounds, and consider the reciprocal suffering and loss that war brings. Another war-memorial such as suggested upsets this ballance.

As for peaceful religion, which you mentioned, no I will not find that it is the cause of most wars around the world! And Christian Faith is present in Dover's emblem. Saint Martin of Tours, who divides his cloak to share it with a poor man, is represented on Dover Town's emblem.
    Many pilgrims used to pass through Dover from the continent and found hospice in Dover's priories, before travelling to Canterbury, and again on returning to the continent.

Why not a monument to our peaceful history with our neighbours in Europe?
    Where does St. Martin of Tours come in with 'wars around the world'?

end link