Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Good job some of us think positively about developing this excellent town we have that is full of prospects - maybe instead of being negative others should be listening to the local radio news, etc. seeing how many outside agencies are getting involved in developing Dover.

Negativity on a public forum, often by the same old few, can ruin some of the constructive work that a number of us are doing - recent editorial in the Dover Mercury. There could be a motive here as if things don't move forward, the Negys, could say they were right all along and Dover will be left as the same old place that I grew up in and will still not have some of the facilities that others enjoy and our community in general richly deserves. Anyone who wants to be a Dover Negy, can be one, but it won't stop the rest of us who want to see Dover develop carrying on with the work.

I won't go into how much our efforts are personally costing a few of us as you would think we are bonkers to be putting our own money into it - or are we the ones who really care about our area and giving our youngsters a good future with good local job prospects (Don't get hung up on supermarket jobs). There are new diploma courses available, with more to come. Curicula are in the process of being set up to enable young people to obtain qualificationsfor jobs in Dover now and for those that will be available as the extensive regeneration moves ahead that will provide overall some 5,000 new jobs

The bigger picture needs to be looked at - latest in the list of positive document I have seen is the new Dover Town Council Corporate Plan.

So being positive further:

Just yesterday, English Heritage announced £5 millions investment at Dover Castle - unquestionably the main tourist attraction in Dover - this all falls in with DDC, Dover Pride, KCC and others involved in the regeneration work.

Fact: Dover Castle approx 350,000 visitors a year (They are hoping to double that) all coming by coach mainly driving in from the Guston roundabot and going out the same way - we need to encourage them into town and this is the overall aim - don't get hung up on one development - it was always said that DTIZ was just the start.

Fact: De Bradelli Wharf approx 850,000 visitors a year - we need to get these people into the centre of the town too.

New Marina and dockside development to compliment the Terminal 2 introduction linked by a Landbridge onto the other side of Townwall Street near to the Bench Street underpass.

Some eager eyed passers by, following the photo at the bus garage (That should be down by 3rd November), may have seen me standing outside the now closed Britannia in Townwall Street on Monday afternoon with two DDC Officers and others - DDC has just completed the purchase of this building in partnership with English Partnerships as part of the extended development to compliment the DTIZ 'Starter for ten' - all moving forward slowly but surely.

Historic towns such as Dover are not easy to develop as every time you dig a hole there is a 'dig' looking for ancient items - all part of our valued history and needs to be 'unearthed' but it does add to development costs and delays in constuction.

There are some untrue statements made above as a number of parties are in discussions to move the DTIZ forward - I can't say more on that for legal and confidentiality reasons.

DDC already own both Centurian House and Dophin House in the area too.

As Sue has indicated above, one project I am working on with DDC Officers is a Street Scene Project that will be presented as part of the consultation at the next Dover Town Neighbourhood Forum meeting at the Town Council offices on Monday 13th October commencing at 6pm for 6.30pm.

Yes, in Dover, the iconic part will be when the demolition crew move in on Burlington House and the buildings beneath it - it has always been accepted that this will take some time and we are likely to see movement on the Woolcomber Street/Townwall Street corner first or maybe some other part of this extensive development. I assume that you still want your mobile phones to work so would like the numerous antennea moved from the roof of Burlingtin House before it is dropped.

Of course, we are also working on a number of other small projects throughout the District - some are completed, some have contractors on site, some are being designed and tendered for, and others are in the consideration and feasibility box - there are too many to list.

Finally, there is some scaremongering going on that residents are being moved out of the Godwyne Close flats backing onto Maison Dieu Road as part of a development - this is entirely unfounded and needs quashing immediately as there are a nunber of elderly people living there who could unnecessarily experience emotional difficulties through this.

Maybe when I get time, I'll list everything I am working on and let you know.

end link