Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Hi everyone,

when I was initially told about this scenario I had my misgivings.The decision to go along this route was taken before I was elected to the council.Due to this I rang the mayor directly and to his credit he was very free and forthcoming with the questions that I asked.The answers he gave are basically set out in Ross's very detailed posting.He told me of the fear that the building may have been potentially sold to an individual or organisation that does not have the towns best interests at heart.I think that this is an issue that we can all relate to as we walk through the town every day.The setting up of the Company Limited by Guarantee was seen as a vehicle to accomplish the purchase as quickly as possible and then dissolved once the charitable status was achieved and trustees were put in place.
    I believe that these decisions were taken with the future of the town at the heart of the matter.I also believe that we do need a 'plan' for the town centre as a mechanism to combat the neglect that has taken hold.I also feel that only direct action and agency will accomplish this.Is this the right route to be going down only time will tell,but do we have an alternative?
    In regards to the Town Council in general.I think people need to keep in mind the proposed amalgamation of the four district councils.If this goes a head as proposed powers will be delegated down to TC level and DDC councillors wil be cut back (no bad thing perhaps)The Town Council will be enhanced as the districts first line of democratic interface.This is why it is so important to try and get things right at this level now,not in the future ,but now.
    In respects to the Dover Forum its contents and its contributors are never more important than it is now.It is one of the last true echo chambers for people's opinions in the district left and even though I can't contribute as much as I wish to I am an avid reader when I get the opportunity.As per usual if people wish to have a word with me you can always see me in the town.

p.s.I do apologise if this is a bit long I have been saving it up for a while

end link