Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Stuart my understanding is that, as shown by the DTC minutes above, the Town Council agreed last year to set up an independent organisation that they endowed with £350000 with the aim of contributing to the regeneration of Dover Town Centre.

I understand that the advice DTC & Love Dover Regeneration (LDR) received from KCC legal department was that they should set up a Charitable Interest Organisation (CIO); unfortunately, this can be a long and tortuous process which it proved to be.

It was, I believe, agreed that Mr Rix & Ms Burton would be the founding trustees in order to get the process moving.

A number of opportunities arose whilst the Charity Commission was carrying out its deliberations, the first came to naught when the properties in question sold at well over the odds at auction; the second led to the interim creation of a Company Limited by Guarantee in order to facilitate its acquisition. I am aware that the owner of Dickens Corner has been considering retirement for some time and in all likely-hood this would have resulted in a very prominent premises in the market square being empty/boarded up for some time. Whilst I agree that the property does seem today to be in reasonable repair, if it was to be unoccupied for any length of time it would rapidly deteriorate. I know this purchase appears to be outside the remit that most people believe LDR was set up to meet but I think it has been done for the right reasons and I also believe having read their constitution etc, is actually within their objectives.

I know that LDR is in the process of appointing additional Trustees to ensure that it offers the best approach to delivering not only regeneration but also fulfilling its social impact remit.

I am also aware they realise that they need to do much better at being transparent about what they are doing especially as they are using money that has been gifted from the public sector.

end link