Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I am one of those thats in favour of a 'hospital' in Dover town rather than a greenfield site in Whitfield.

As the town centre falls apart on a daily basis the towns resources are stretched further and further apart.If I had my way I would resite the council offices in the town perhaps incorporating it in the DTIZ 'never to be built' project.

Bring the office workers back to town to use the cafes the coffee shops and sandwich bars for lunch.Allowing them to shop, wander and more importantly spend money in and around town it might just might encourage more 'leading' stores to reinvest in the town centre if the footfall were to increase.

The same with the hospital, hopefully the staff, visitors and others will be able to shop in Dover and use the local facilities.

Forget about the flooding its a red herring. British ingenuity helped put a man on the moon so stopping a bit of flooding should not pose a threat if a real effort is made.It will be easy for residents in out of town villages to access the hospital as all roads but more importantly all bus routes lead to Dover.Think of an 80year who would have to catch a bus to Dover before connecting on another bus to Whitfield.No I am sorry but Dover Town centre was the best option and do not be fooled by those who say that at Whitfield we could have had a 'proper' hospital that was never an option.

As the decline continues with B&Q exiting stage right to Whitfield and Morrisons withdrawal from Dover followed by the sheer awe inspiring non commital of ASDA to start any type of build I am afraid we must seize every opportunity to rejuvenate our town before its too late.

Of course I am forgetting our world renown street market on a Saturday...the solitary fruit and veg stall...

Which leads me to the giant tv screen.Lets hope its approved after numerous and costly committee meetings.If its location is causing a problem then move it to Pencester Gdns where surely it can't be any louder than the music and screams that echo around town during the funfairs visit.

I sometimes think that a lot of people were far happier when Dover was being shelled by the Nazis at least then they had something concrete to moan about. Since then they have been in search of something more tangible to whinge on about but until that day arrives most Dovorians are more than happy to whinge about anything and everything the town does to raise its profile and improve living standards.

I suppose reading back on this missive that includes me...thank God for Roger W.

end link