Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

For me it was the other way around.

Back in the 70's, when I was Young Conservative Chairman, we had a real national hoohah over the use of a left wing hym book at the Girls Grammar school. Our press officer, who went to the Grammar, made a passing reference to our discussion about it in a press release. The next thing you know The Sunday People contacted me and asked for an interview.

Then it was picked up by all the national media, broadsheets and red tops. I had a Radio 4 interview, my vice-chairman (Helen who I later married) had a tv interview.

The only, and I mean only, national media to accurately reflect what happened was the Telegraph. We were supported by such diverse people as Enoch Powell and the Bishop of London.

The Sun ran a supportive leader but did not contain the full story in the paper (odd I thought). The Guardian was true to its left wing readership and misrepresented what happened. The BBC edited a 10 minute interview recorded for the World at One down to about 1 minute and totally misrepresented the whole case, that really did disgust me.

The problem arose because the truth was a lot more mundane than the media reports made out. They did not like the way we tried to downplay the story to reflect accurately what happened. The Telegraph reported it honestly and in context, the only paper that did.

It was of course a difffierent generation of reporters.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story as they say!

end link