Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

"The idea of our needing to be reminded of either of the two German wars is ridiculous. British culture wallows in these wars. I am told that there are some 8,000 books available in English on the second world war. Of 800 books in print on Hitler, 80 per cent are by British writers, with dozens more appearing each year. No bestseller list is without at least one war book. Films and documentaries are never off the airwaves. The fixation with the Bosch, the Hun and the Nazi, from the games industry to the Sun newspaper, is pathological. Nor need we worry about children forgetting. The GCSE history website apparently gets three times more hits for Hitler than for the Tudors."

It could also be argued that 7,200 books are not about Hitler and I would not expect many books about him to be written by those that have cause to remember he invaded their country or that he was head of their country.

As for the GCSE comment children are taught about WW2 in their history lessons unlike when I was at school where we learnt about the Tudors with no mention of WW2.

We should always remember those who have died or been injured while serving their country but without the emphasis on wars fought long ago.

Children need to be taught and reminded that politicians cause wars while it is the ordinary person who pay the price.

end link