Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Hi Amberleaf50.
    I do respect my elders and did not mean to offend you as I try most times to see others points of view as well, but only after engaging my brain.

Yes, the 60’s was a time of change with many experiencing an improving lifestyle after the austerity of the war years. But as I had only just returned from full time National Service, (on active service overseas), I still had my wits about me and also a strong desire to settle back into work after two years away.

Those that were fortunate enough to have the ability and family support to study at university had a deferment from National service until they had completed their studies........so they too experienced difficulties.

Isn’t it strange how some experiences in life enhance it and also produce new problems too? I mean, back in the 60’s there were around 3000 students at Brighton universities and this year there are more than 30,000. Taking into account an average of 5 students to a house they would be using 6000 family houses.....(I done my research Amberleaf50)! How many does that equate to on a national basis I wonder?

Now they do not pay council tax so if we multiplied this by say £1900p.a. we would be looking at lost revenue of £11,400,000 to the council in Brighton alone!

After a struggle I purchased my first house during the 60’s, the price of which was increased by £100 before completion so the old Ford 100E had to go and it was shank’s pony for getting about for a few years.

I don’t begrudge the fact that you were able to have a great time during this period although becoming rotund wouldn’t have appealed to me. We still have freedom of choice in the U.K. and as Button pointed out in his post we live with the consequences.

I agree that there were plenty of jobs around, with very little protection of rights and the dismissal norm being 7 days notice, I might add. There are many job vacancies around today, granted some poorly paid, but your future has to start somewhere and life is what you make it! Not all of these have been taken by grateful immigrants.............

Whoops! I almost missed your comments about pubs closing down! I blame the night club phenomenon where you can drink yourself stupid to the early hours and then behave violently to others and p*** in neighbours gardens on the way home. What’s that all about?

Finally I would concur with your comments on the fact some younger people, not all, don’t save as they prefer to spend their/our money on other ‘pleasures’.........

The younger generation has always had to strive for what they want in life and it’s a pleasure to be able to help them with childminding and in other ways at times. This help was certainly not possible for our parents to give in the past either.

end link