Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

It is a great shame that last night's proceedings at Fort Whitfield were marred by the boorish behaviour of Gordon (Give us a safe seat - I've just lost another election) Cowan and a number of the 'usual suspects' (Labour).

Gordon had obviously ' come here to bury Caesar, not to praise him' which is a bloody difficult line to say when your mouth is full of sour grapes.

Apparently he had 'nothing personal about the recommendations' (Ha, bloody ha) but could not vote in favour as the present job spec for alderman would not cover all councillors.

This is a typical Labour 'if all can't have prizes none shall' attitude which has turned school sports into a series of caucus races and school speech day into a farce where some poor bugger mentally half-firing on one cylinder is given a certificate for 'Working towards tying his own shoelaces'.

Gordon's antics unfortunately left a bit of a nasty taste in the mouth.

To draw a parallel I am a staunch republican HOWEVER I do not make a point of refusing to stand for the national anthem as I recognise it as shared ritualised behaviour which is important for the cohesiveness of my society .

In a post religious society there are more than enough triggers for Durkheim's 'anomie' without me doing my bit to add to it. When I attend the Trafalgar Day Service this weekend I am taking part in a societal celebration of part shared history and part foundation myth i.e. we have descended from heroes such as this. I shall be singing the national anthem. Life is not [U]always[/U] about me, me, me.

If it's fairly harmless and absurd but gives people a sense of 'belonging' I'm all for it, even down to Scottish Country Dancing!

end link