Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

This was part of the reason given Peter:

" I did carry out a site assessment of the above location with my colleague Des Connolly (Crime Prevention Design Adviser).

Unfortunately we have concluded that this space is not suitable for a children's play area for some of the following reasons:-

1) A minimum buffer zone of 20 meters between the activity zone and the boundary of the nearest property is recommended by Fields in Trust (formerly National Playing Fields Association). The boundary of the above space is occupied by properties on both sides and clearly does not meet this requirement. This is a significantly important factor to consider when seeking a new location for a children's play area. From my experience, play areas located too close to properties such as this location have significant repercussions and end up with problems such as anti social behaviour including damage to nearby properties, noise disturbances and intrusion of privacy. Examples of this occurred in play areas previously located at Burch Avenue in Sandwich, Leviers Road and Marlborough Road in Deal.

2) It is highly likely that noise issues and anti-social behaviour will develop in this site as a result of a new play area. By way of this email I have asked Des Connolly to contact you directly with his concerns on this site in terms of Crime Prevention Design.

3) A play area requires two entry/exit points to fully consider child protection and safety. This allows for escape in the event of possible confrontational events such as child bullying. Unfortunately this space does not allow for two adequately spaced out entry/exit points given that the front opens on to a very busy road while three other boundaries are bordered by private properties.

The Review of Play Area Provision 2012-2026 does acknowlege the difficulty in trying to find a suitable location for a play area in the Elms Vale & Priory ward. Several site options have been explored but the steep topograpghy and density of houses has meant that it has not been possible to find a suitable site for the provision of a new play area. However the document does state that opportunities through planning applications in this area will be pursued and as I understand it both from Roger's recent email to you and from planning colleagues that new proposals are being worked on."

I followed that with:

"I must be honest, I am disappointed (for the kids round here), but not totally surprised.

1) A 20 metre buffer-zone (over 60 feet) seems an extra-ordinary distance to stipulate for a small play area; I know children's laughter can carry and can upset some people, but surely conditions could be placed as to the hours of play ?

2) I look forward to Des's response.

3) I can appreciate what you say about exits, but within this particular area, and with a see-through steel-wire lockable gates, I would be surprised if any problems were to occur.

Kind Regards

Roger."

This was followed by:

"Hello Cllr Walkden,

I understand your disappointment and I truly want to find a reasonably suitable open space for a children's play area in this ward but I am very certain the above open space is not acceptable and would create more community problems than providing a fun open space for children to enjoy. The distance of 20m is really not that far when you are the resident living next door to a children's play area. Historically I have had to work with such like residents that suffer from noise, anti social behaviour, abusive language, damage to property and in some circumstances children sitting on equipment looking through windows! I am not suggesting this would all happen in this proposed location but there is certainly a high risk that two or more of these type problems would be an issue and the end result could lead to possible closure of the site. No doubt my colleague Des Connolly can provide more expertise on this matter.

Although locking up play areas is practiced in some areas, forcing conditions on hours of play incurs additional costs and can potentially lead to damaged fences boundaries where children try to get in anyway - we have seen examples of this in William Pitt Play Area, Deal. That said it is an option but not preferred when you are searching for a new open space to accommodate a children's play space.

Opportunities through planning applications in this area is the most sensible and only way forward in trying to provide a new play area in this ward."

I accept that this site will not provide a play area and that the Westmount site should provide funding, but in the meantime, the search for a site goes on.

Roger

end link