Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I have no idea what "a selective Direct Grant grammar school" is. You mention fees so I'd presume that it was/is what we in the UK call Public School.

Confused me for years that did. I blame America. They say Public v Private. We say State v Public. I've just typed that out, stared at it for two minutes, convinced myself that it's correct, and am still unsure of myself

Let's try clarifying by stating: In the UK: State = The State pay (i.e. via taxes. Taken from and for every body). Public = Individuals pay (via their own cash. For their individual kids/charitable beneficiaries).

It's still confusing. And now it's been conflagrated by all sorts of faith schools and academies. I have no idea what is going on. No kids here, so not had to face it.

I'll declare my interest as a DGSfB alumni. That's a G for Grammar and it was state funded. I'm guessing I passed the 11+ at some point, but if I ever took it, it was administered to me without my knowledge that that was what I was doing. I vaguely recall a select few pupils at primary school being given a test, and then being asked by a teacher afterwards "Did you find that easy?" I wasn't forced to go there . I was given a free choice. So no pressure from anyone is really what I'm getting at here.

About twenty years after I left I was working with a more recent ex pupil who pointed out that he felt that, if you were merely average there, then they really weren't that bothered with you. Made me recall my own feelings of obvious (in)difference there. I was the only kid there without a dad when I started. In no way well off. By the time I left five years later half of the class had divorced parents. I still believe that the"posh kids" had an easier time of it there.

I was discouraged from staying on for the sixth form by the behaviour of one particular narcissistic, psychopathic teacher who, in my opinion should never have been allowed to be in a position of authority over kids. He was far from the only one. In fact, thinking about it, the place was staffed full of ex old boy pupils who treated the place like some kind of old boys club. If some teachers could gain respect and admiration without what was basically bullying and scaring little kids, there was/is no excuse for the kind of behaviour that I experienced and am still bitter about.

I can't believe that they are still single sex (though I've learnt recently that the boys school has female sixth formers now. That must frustrate the younger boys ).

Sorry. I'm ranting again aren't I.

end link