Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I don't think this academic research helps me in deciding whether or not I did right by my children - and I haven't a clue what 'social cohesion' is, or whether I should care. I particularly don't see what "pupils' wealth" has to do with anything, at least in my family's case, and I suspect that measuring the value added to "brighter" (yuk!!!) children misses the point.

Neither my parents nor I come from privileged (wealthy?) backgrounds. I attended a selective Direct Grant grammar school (the fees were adjusted downwards to reflect my father's income) and my sister attended a comprehensive school. Of my 3 children, 2 attended (non-fee paying) grammar schools (2 such schools in the case of one child) and one did not. These were all decisions made on the basis of 'which secondary school do I think best meets the need of my child?'

Would I do the same again? Well, the track-record of schools (however you measure it) changes over time and I have to say that I might struggle to place all 3 children, other than the one who changed and attended a different school in his 6th form years.

The bottom-line is that "what ifs" don't get you very far. My children seem happy and are gainfully employed - though that could have been the outcome anyway. Other than poking fun at me, they and their partners seem to be well-adjusted members of society. On balance, I should like to retain the choice between selective and non-selective schools. Not sure about single-sex schools though; mine was and I don't think it's helpful - I still think that the opposite sex comes from a different planet.

end link