Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Wow, has that made my day, thanks Paul. I thought it was a phenomenon one would be lucky to witness only on the very rarest of occasions, if at all.

It is, of course, the remnant flow of what was once the East Dour after the shingle bar formed across the estuary and split the Dour into East and West branches. The major earthquake of 1580 caused part of Castle Hill to slide down and block off the East Dour, putting paid to the fishing industry which had developed there and causing the future development of the town to extend out along the West Dour to Archcliffe Point.

The original course of the East Dour is commemorated in the name Eastbrook Place, the narrow stretch of road which rises uphill from the end of Maison Dieu to the traffic lights at the top of Castle Street. The hump of land which it ascends is clearly shown as a promontory on the map of the floodplain of the Dour appended to the planning application for the new Wetherspoons. It is my surmise that this promontory is the landslide occasioned by the earthquake of 1580 which had such a profound effect on the composition of the town as we know it today.

end link