Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

24 years ago,for my sins, I was required to live and work in Dhaka,Bangladesh. I worked at the High Commission and decided that as Christmas was approaching that I would throw a party.Not only did I invite everyone employed at the HC but because my house was in Gulshan ,the Mayfair of Dhaka, I also invited my next door neighbours who varied in occupation from T.V news reader to Japannese Bank director and a local Bengali millionaire. I hired 8 chefs and 42 staff who helped to prepare and serve the food and drinks. A local Bengali D J operated the disco and the night in my opinion was a roaring success. However the following day I was summoned to the Head of Chancery office where he started to give me a dressing down for inviting "locals" to an office party. I politely informed him that the Christmas bash was solely funded by myself and that it was my decision as to whom was invited. I then pointed out to him the advantanges of sex and travel! needless to say my career was cut short. But this illustrates the type of colonial attitude that still prevails overseas. Until we are prepared to integrate and adopt other nations culture we will always be stuck in the Victorian era.

People choosing the UK as their refuge or new home should do likewise adopt and abide by our rules and regulations without losing their own sense of identity.

end link