Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I too prefer to mix with the French rather than the ex-pats when we stay in France. I actually dont care for the attitude of so many of the ex-pats I meet there.

That said there are different issues mixed up here.

Many of the ex-pats in places like Saudi who dont 'mix' with the locals are not true ex-pats in the sense of moving out there lock stock and barrel to live. Mostly they go to work, earn some dosh to then move back here. You cannot blame them for living in their compounds and mixing with their like. They are not trying to change the local culture to accomodate them 'out in the country' as a whole. That is very different to those people who move here to live, work and retire, from places like Pakistan, who seem to expect us to bend over backwards and modify our ways and beliefs for them. Perhaps though its driven not so much by them but guilt ridden wooly headed white middle class PC nutters (to use the politest term I can come up with for them).

As for history, well the fault there is to look back on past events and to try to transfer modern 21st century values, knowledge and sensibilities to those times or visa versa. What happened, happened, for good or bad.

end link