Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

There has certainly been an increase in urban foxes, no fun when like my youngest you have had a pet killed by a fox. Not a pretty sight. I cannot help wondering if the recent surge in urban foxes is something to do with the foxhunting ban, a bit of a coincidence if not.

That aside there is a strong argument for getting rid of the ban if you put aside the excessive sentimentallity of the Beatrix Potter attitudes to animals. Indeed I would go so far to say that it is an animal welfare issue to do so.

After all, there is general agreement that foxes (viscious killers as many chicken farmers will testify) need to be culled. Poison perhaps, shooting? Very indescriminate that. With hunting the fit animals often escape while to sick and injured will be caught.

Consider the impact of this:
    A quick death rather than a lingering one.
    Healthy animals escape the cull.
    Disease and generic defects will not be passed on.
    There is some control over numbers in a way that most benefits farmers. I think I am right to say that a sick or injured fox will be more likely to go for domestic animals, after all it is easy for them to corner their prey in a chicken coop, for instance, than hunt in the wild.

So yes fox hunting does have animal welfare benefits.

The other argument is the old one about enjoyment in killing but that is a false argument. I have never been fox hunting and never want to but I do know from those who have that the enjoyment is in the ride, chasing after an unpredictable prey accross country, not in the kill.

I myself, as a child, went hare coursing with my father. This is a different issue to fox hunting and the argument in favour of it is not as strong, though still substantial. I do remember though that the enjoyment was in watching the greyhounds run off against each other, while chasing a prey that is not quite as fast as them but a lot more agile. If all the hares escape (as most did) the 'event' was not marred and was enjoyed to the full.

So I do believe that it is in the interests of foxes and indeed hares to get rid of this uninforceable and sensless ban. Why not garner some enjoyment from it as well, from the ceremony, the ride, the chase, the skill of the dogs if not from the kill.

end link