Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Andrew, in post #133 you said:

"I would disagree that this area of Farthingloe is an AONB and it has no benefit to anyone in its current state."

Regardless of what it may look like (actually at the moment it looks pretty green, not your typical view of a 'brown field site'), it is a matter of fact that it is within the designated North Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This designation is supposed to provide protection of the highest order. So, for instance, when I applied for permission to stick a very modest conservatory on my house, I had to provide a design statement that explained why it wouldn't adversely impact the AONB. The CGI proposal is the largest development given approval inside a designated AONB anywhere, according the Council for the Protection of Rural England.

Nonetheless, I accept that some development (including some houses) could be accomodated there. But the only justification for as many as 521 houses is that CGI want to maximise their profits and most DDC councillors think that is the main consideration.

Question for those supporting this scheme:

Do you think that allowing developers to maximise their profits is the only consideration?

Or do you think the impact on the environment also merits some consideration along with benefits to the wider community?

If the latter, then that is what the planning process, and planning policy should be trying to achieve. If the former, then you really don't need any planning department at all.

end link