Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Well I think there could be several reasons why it's never happened or why Dover is particularly slow with its development process. If you look at Dover and its development since World War 2 there is little to be desired. Most of which you would never get planning permission for in most towns. For far too long Dover has lost its identity and simple exists as a gateway out of the country, the town centre continually stripped of any character and replaced with large blocks of cement. Why would anyone want to stop in the town before their holiday??

Obviously the financial crisis hasn't helped but it appears there are people that want to invest in Dover and they should be given every encouragement that we want them to invest.

Long and short of it all.... Money!

I think that's why the St James regeneration scheme isn't quite right too, no clear link to the existing town expect a small ally. If it's going to be done then it has to be right and for that scheme to work they need to demolish Dolphin House and the retail units around KFC. There is no reason why Dover shouldn't use the success Canterbury has had as a model for the St James development, obviously Dover is a smaller scale but Canterbury has retained its integrity and character with the Whitefriars development.

Also another town too look at and use for inspiration is Newbury, Berkshire. It's a small town but has recently completed a large regeneration programme for the town. If anything, Dover is in better positions to make a large retail development work with the amount of tourists that pass us by.

Sorry I could go on all day but I just think we should all be aiming higher and be more ambitious with what we want for Dover.

end link