Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I'm not sure if you are referring to a particlar planning application Guz ? - The retail park at Whitfield perhaps ?

I am on the Planning Committee at DDC but not allowed to speak, discuss or vote on this application as I am Dover Business Support Manager and as such it is felt (?) that there is a "conflict of interest" - which I guess means that I will be more supportive of Dover Town businesses and therefore not support this development (which is still in Dover - Whitfield is part of Dover isn't it ?).

I must be honest, if there are going to be big shops (which define a Retail Park) and they are going to stock the same things as Town Centre shops, then isn't there a great danger that the Town will suffer and even more shops will close and unemployment will arise and less reason for people to come into Town ? There will be a cafe/restauarant too, so maybe our cafes in Town will suffer ?

We need more open shops in Town and more support for those open shops.

We also don't want people going to Broadstairs, Folkestone, Canterbury etc. (out of our District) to buy their large goods - fridges, freezers, washing machines etc. beds, bedroom furniture and similar; Whitfield is only a short drive or bus-ride away.

A healthy Town or a healthy Retail Park - can Dover have both ?

Roger

end link