Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I will not for one moment suggest that the Council is completely innocent of all the charges made against it but often they are the fall guys for others. I would certainly agree that the Planning Department could be more effective, as all businessmen would vouch....

Many of the delays regarding the DTIZ are due to third parties and complex negotiations. I remember about 20 years ago, when I was a DDC member, when the land acquisition excercise for the DTIZ was started, we were then told what a complex project it would be. There is, or was, a complex web of leases and underleases that needed to be undone. There was no real expectation that the project would be completed within the timescales we are experiencing. There has been complex negotiations ove the bus depot for instance and not to mention the difficulties the developers had in getting retail interest (and not to mention the failed attemps to get leisure interests involved).

Other delays arise over funding and the involvement of Government agencies. A great deal of work and time has to go into putting together a case and project to attract funding. They lack all sense of urgency that we all feel towards wanting progress.

The point here though is that there is a massive amount going on in Dover and the main role of DDC is in respect of Planning and facilitation. All this is time consuming and it gets worse with all the extra beaurocratic processes placed in the way by Government.

There are things that the Council are unable to change. It cannot change the demographics (not instantly anyway) and it is that which mitigates against many retailers locating in Dover, along with our 180 degree catchment. If we can reverse the population decline with the new house building that would be a start but we are talking about decades for that to have impact. Clearly we also need to attract more and better paid jobs to Dover and what will help with that is the fast rail link and the new business park. The dualling of the A2 would be a boost too.... The marina development by the Harbour Board will also help with the associated regeneration proposals but once again the regeneration element will depend on Government agencies for the cash.

Yes the Council make a good target to swipe at and they have broad enough shoulders to take it but remember it is not all their fault. There are some very good people, with some real vision, on DDC who work hard and often against the odds to progress things.

On the positive side, I am told by the Chamber of Commerce office that there will be road closures in July to allow for demolition..... It is happening.

end link