Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

SWWood wrote:
    Dover is the world's busiest passenger port precisely because it has expanded and re-developed substantially over the centuries.

The above quote is probably correct but "Big deal, so what"?

Please forgive me if what I'm about to say angers anybody, but from an "outsiders" point of view what has that actually done as such for Dover?? ( some jobs admittedly ) I'm afraid that all I see is continual congestion in the town and surrounding areas, gridlocked roads, foreign drivers ( especially thousands of lorries! ) that are dangerous at roundabouts and elsewhere, damage to roads, haphazard parking and the pollution that emanates from that etc.
    The countryside outside of the town is quite pleasant, no arguments there, but I don't see that that's anything down to DHB?
    If our town is a reflection of what you get when attached to the "world's busiest passenger port" then I'm afraid I'm personally not very impressed. Could it actually be any worse if DHB didn't exist, I doubt it very much. Numerous coastal towns don't have the benefits that DHB allegedly provide and they seem to do ok and are probably better places to live to boot.
    Before I'm told to "bugger off" then if I don't like it here, let me make it quite clear that due to personal reasons I have to stay here at the moment, but I don't think that I'll miss much when I do finally upsticks and move on. I would perhaps miss some of our surrounding areas, but the town with its third rate shops, misfits, drunks, beggars, deadbeats and the like, no, I don't think so.
    If anyone thinks that our town is a decent place all due to DHB then I can only conclude that you've not travelled very far or have a personal interest in the company.
    As I mentioned above, not my intention to upset anyone, just my own perspective which may be totally wrong of course, but I guess that is what the forum is for, a difference of opinion.

end link