Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Hi Roger

As already mentioned. The worst couple that need immediate action under section 215 are
    1.The site of the old Crypt Restaurant that has been derelict since the fire in the early '70s. The owner is, I understand a Developer that has had similar derelict properties in Folkestone and other Thanet Towns.
    2. The old Post Office (then labour Excahnge) off market Square.

There is a general need for owners to remove vegetation from buildings that are not only unsightly but cause the cement pointing to deteriorate. Even the Museum has vegetation on it so if the Council is serious about improving the town then they should set the example??

There is of course the main DTIZ development area that is really a bomb-site,and if as I understand, is the oldest WW2 bomb site in the UK. If the site is not developed or improved before the DTIZ scheme starts then perhaps Dover has another "Tourist Attraction" !!!

On the issue of cleanliness I have on several postings tried to use Lincoln as an example where zero tollerance re litter /cigarette ends/chewing gum/dog fouling exists. I have had lengthing correspondence with the City of Lincoln and they have two Enforcement Officers (also covers Dog Fouling) and have a good working arrangement with the police and CCTV monitoring.The area covers 12 square miles with a population of 88,000 including a University campus which used to be a major cause of chewing gum deposited in streets in Lincoln.

Before "Zero Tollerance" a full education programme was given including distributing free Chewing gum wraps and cigarette pouches. They ensured there were adequate bins (including cigartette stub bins) and that these are emptied on a regular basis all day/evening (they have a cafe culture for City Centre evenings). Any person offending is named and shamed in the local press.

As has already been said on this forum the police and CCTV activity seems not to be utilised in Dover and DTC/DDC need to get back to basics and ensure what we are paying for (10% of rates go to policing) we get.There is existing legislation that can be implemented if the Council and Police have a will to do so.

end link