Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Well, today I visited the temporary library at the Gateway. Not that bad, I suppose, unless you're looking for a book. Mainly popular fiction (including 'family sagas' at the front) and a small section of non-fiction (cookery).

(I was hardly through the door when an excited assistant jumped me, 'Hello, how can I help you today?'. There followed a short conversation in which it transpired that I knew more than her about basic front-office library transactions. I cut it short by reassuring her that I knew what I was doing (true) as I am a qualified librarian (also true).)

I quizzed a very nice man at an information desk and found out that much of the Dover stock is now in storage and inaccessible. If you want a book that's a Dover item, ask at the library for a copy from another branch (if there is one) and, if you flutter your eyelashes or protest very loudly, he'll waive the reservation fee.

The local studies material has largely gone, too. Though I'm assured there are 'some maps' and microfiche.

Any questions, ask a librarian!

end link