Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

For a small town for which a fifth of the UK's trade passes through we/our representatives really should be putting forward a case for priority investment from central funds to prop up a failing local economy. We are inconvenienced by the constant traffic flow in and out of the port and should be compensated some way or the other. Duelling the A2 (although I'm not convinced of the benefits of this) or perhaps providing tax breaks to entice national company's to relocate to Dover would be good.

There does seem to be some sort of disconnect between the Harbour Board and the local community which is a shame. I think Neil's post above provides some welcome transparency and perhaps that is the key to rebuilding the trust moving forwards?

Neil states that a proportion of DHB's profit goes to local community organisations. I don't know what that means in hard cash per year but hopefully it's a significant proportion of the declared profit. I wonder if the Board would consider extending part (or more) funding to support local projects, projects that can be seen and enjoyed by the whole community and not just providing funding for improvements/projects on their owned buildings? Financially supporting the Market Square development springs to mind.

end link