Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

On Wednesday I had a meeting in Dover so it gave me a chance to wander round the town. St James' was almost deserted still with over 1/3 of units still empty and Market Square to the Maison Dieu was like a ghost town apart from the new wine bar opposite Wetherspoons which was packed with the usual suspects much the worse for wear and howling at the moon by early afternoon.

It was all rather depressing and I really don't see a 're-imagined' Market Square or renaming the urinal known as the underpass or a portacabin doss-house on the harbour arm turning things around.

In Deal seafront and pier have been busy all week with the area outside King's Head, Port Arms and Dunkerleys doing a roaring trade. Yesterday the town was absolutely packed and looking very busy, the market having to enforce a one-way system.

I noticed that the RSPCA charity shop has now closed and was talking to one of their ex-staff. Apparently their lease has expired and the cafe next door is expanding into their premises and they are unable to find anywhere else in Deal to move in to!

Meanwhile house prices are still 'enjoying' exponential growth as half of London realises that if they have to work from home they might as well have a home by the sea-side!

Having read all the election literature for the upcoming KCC elections I don't envisage things changing for Dover whoever gets in. Zero vision or understanding of how retail and work are changing.

On the plus side our LOCAL MP has sent me her monthly cut and paste on how well the vaccine roll-out is going!

All rather sad.

end link