Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I read with interest that they want to build a shipping container restaurant in Whitstable on the South Quay, the difference between this one off shipping container development in Whitstable and what is being proposed in Dover is the size and scale.

Yes, a one off shipping container restaurant in Dover on the Marina Curve could actually be quite fun, but a 90 room container motel is another story. Far too large and far too intrusive! It would be much better to have a number of different buildings of architectural merit that become a destination just on their architectural merit alone. As far as I remember when the Harbour Board deprived the people of Dover of the Prince of Wales Pier as an amenity, we were promised an exciting development of retail and restaurants. I can't see anywhere the mention of a hotel on the Marina Curve, let alone a 90-room one made out of shipping containers. Just hope when DDC's planning committee re-looks at this planning application they also will see what a folly granting of planning permission for such a development would be.

end link