Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

The more I learn, the more I think about Dover District Council, the more I come to the conclusion that it is simply not fit for purpose. Or to be more specific, while it seems to do a competent enough job of handling the day-to-do mundane business of running the district, it is COMPLETELY OUT OF ITS DEPTH when it comes to making strategic economic decisions.

I would go further and say that the whole structure of local government in this country needs to be looked at and certain powers stripped away from district councils if they prove incapable of using them properly.

For an example of their woolly-mindedness, take a look at this piece of nonsense on a blog by Stephen Mannion, DDC member for Eastry Ward:

"The decision by the post office limited to close some post offices across the district must be hailed as a success by the whitfield action group which seems intent on running down services for residents in the district. Their approach to stifle development will see more services be withdrawn as residents are increasingly isolated from services enjoyed by urban dwellers."

Where do I start in demolishing this nonsense? For one thing, a comment to make is that the house building is still years away - so whatever WAG has done it could not have influenced Post Office closure decisons. Secondly, Whitfield's Post Office is alive and kicking. Thirdly, I fail to see how the proposed massive development could have saved the facilities several miles away in Mongeham and elsewhere.

Fourthly, I think it is pretty offensive to suggest that WAG actually rejoices at Post Office closures.

Moreover, I make the broader point that massive development at Whitfield will do nothing to enhance services in outlying villages, unless DDC is planning to amalgamate Dover and Deal into a giant coastal conurbation and absorb the villages in between.

Finally, those such as myself opposed to the Madness of King Paul and his Soviet-style 20 year plan do not want to stifle development, we want to see it done correctly. i.e. by regenerating the town centre and embracing the town and sea, not creating a mega-village at Whitfield, with its back to Dover.

Dover District Council seems to me to be an overgrown school debating society more interested in personal power and party loyalty than the true well being of the area.

As a democratically elected council, let's turn things round and ask a question.

Given your track record of failed and misguided projects to revitalise the district's economy (eg the White Cliffs Experience), why should we, the people you are elected to serve, have any confidence in your plans to revitalise the town of Dover by developing Whitfield?

It seems to me you are not listening and have already made up your minds - go on, prove me wrong.

Disclaimer: While I am sympathetic to WAG's views, opinions expressed here are my own.

end link