Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I did laugh this evening when I saw David Cameron's news item in which he swore - not once but TWICE - on a live radio interview. Channel 4 news reported Cameron as claiming, and I quote, that the general public were "pissed off" with politics, and then went on to comment on the use of Twitter. "Politicians need to watch what they say, too many Twitts might make a ****" - and that was that!

Now then - I doubt many people were really genuinely offended by these remarks, after all some of the most popular TV drama features far worse words and these programs are watched by millions. Movies feature some extremely blue language and yet we still pay and watch them - and enjoy them! The "F" word was downgraded by the BBFC and is now even allowed to appear in a PG rated film (I kid you not). And, let's face it, we all swear from time to time. How many of you have let out a little "sh*t" when you've stubbed your toe or burned your fingers on the hot coffee mug? Exactly!

So why then when David Cameron cracks a couple of amusing swear words, and not even terribly offensive ones at that, does everybody go off their rocker about it? Labour are no doubt going to squeeze as much mileage as they can out of this (they have already started- claiming that he "behaved inappropriately") and according to the SKY news report, complaints "flooded in". I can imagine two or three complaints flooding in but not thousands. Do we really care these days?

If you ask me, Cameron was dipping his toe into the water to behave like the rest of us - trying to appear like a "normal bloke" who uses normal language. Given the perceptions people have of these public figures and fueled by the opposition, this will no doubt backfire on him. But for me personally, Cameron has gone up in my estimation for being ballsy, honest, and just saying it like he saw it. If Cameron is guilty of anything it is simply this - he is quite possibly the first politician - EVER - to say something honest!

end link