Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Paul Watkins wrote:
    Reginald, my recollection prior to retirement was that Commonwealth WarGraves Commission were less than supportive of the scheme (not their scheme) . I thought planning applications were being made. English Heritage would have been influential to progress. Lots of connections with Farthingloe scheme which was being re- submitted (wherever that is now). Initial Commonwealth support was positive. All aspects being in place a fundraising phase was to be commenced with Trust/Board to be formed.

I've not seen anything to indicate a connection between the now seemingly defunct CWM project and the Farthingloe development proposals. I had assumed (perhaps wrongly) that China Gateway had agreed to cede the necessary land at the Western Heights for altruistic reasons. Their original WH plans were only a sop to assuage public opinion about Farthingloe in the first place.

I'd be interested to know the legal basis for land ownership for either CWM or Dame Vera, whichever wins the day.

As for Farthingloe, HMRC tried to wind up China Gateway in 2019 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3456010 but were apparently unsuccessful. They have subsequently published accounts showing considerable losses but are being propped up in the day-to-day activities by another rather shady looking company, Highcliffe Investments Ltd, with which they have entered some sort of partnership.

CG are speculators pure and simple. Their original board had 'groper' Elphicke's undying support. Whether that remains in the current local Tory set-up is beyond me. However, time has elapsed and the main protagonists have passed away. The company now is under the sole control of a Cambodian resident (but of British nationality) who appears to enjoy the continuing support of their main backers - the Israeli Discount Bank. Their support is predicated on the assumption that planning permission will one day be granted for this vastly inappropriate development by a compliant council. They desperately need this for the company to have any meaning or value at all since their Manston interests have dissipated.

However, local opposition remains vigilant and will aways enjoy the support of Elphicke's much villified adversary - Campaign for the Protection of Rural England.

This whole thing remains a planning scandal which has cost the taxpayers of Dover several hundred thousands of pounds in a grossly mismanaged piece of local politics.

So, yes Reg, expect it to rear its ugly head sometime again.

end link