Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Jean and I had a great cruise as did the friends we went with - also from Dover; the Jewel is certainly a lovely ship and decorated and fitted out to a high standard.

The thing that we didn't too much care for though, was "Free-Style" cruising, which means that anything goes as far as dress is concerned and some people really dressed DOWN for dinner, lunch or even breakfast.

Some came to dinner like they'd just come in from working in the garden, we couldn't believe it.
    No shorts at dinner was just the minimum. I think it spoils it to be honest; even working class Councillors like to wear a suit occasionally !

The places we called at showed why Dover is missiing out so much.

Proper sight-seeing tour buses at each location, apart from St. Petersburg, then it has to be an organised tour (which was what we did) or a cruise-company tour.

The tour bus we have in Dover picks up from the cruise terminal, up to the Castle and then to the Market Square - or it may be the Market Square first, before the Castle.

Two small Towns we called at - Warnemunde in Germany and Tallin in Estonia were beautiful - clean streets and pavements, well-cared for buildings and welcoming people, shop owners and workers.

Most of the destinations had stalls/shops close to the ships, so people could buy local things - various souvenirs, clothes, drinks etc.
    I'm sure something could be done for Dover.

When we returned on Tuesday, I was just amazed at the Cruise Welcome desk. I know it was a "Turn-Around, not a Port of Call", but not everyone is rushing off to the USA or where ever they came from, some were spending time in Dover perhaps for the day or more - but nothing, absolutely nothing.

Even if the majority of people are going directly home, we should have posters and information there, showing what we have here and it being given out to anyone we can give it to -they may come back to Dover for another cruise, people do and they will know then what there is to see and do the next time they're here; stay for two or three days.

We have the Port, we have the History, we have so little understanding of what we should be doing- sad seems such an understatement.

Even with little or no co-operation from the cruise-line companies (on their TV service for example, it is for Dover, read London and Canterbury - literally), we could do so much for ourselves.

Why aren't we selling Dover ? why are we allowing the buildings that are going to stay after the DTIZ is finished, not being smartened up - through enforcement if necessary.

Roger

end link