Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

"Yes Ive seen the bores alright...but I think its fair to say after all the build up about archeology the promise of a big dig event fizzled out like a bit of a damp squip. They came, they went soon, and they didnt conquer!"

Not really Paul. As the other Paul has pointed out these were only evaluation trial trenches. Hopefully full scale excavation will be not far off. Archaeology is deeply unpopular with many people I know, including a certain nameless councillor who would like the whole lot ploughed up in case it holds up Dover's 'regeneration'. As Andy has pointed out in his excellent post, archaeology can attract tourists if incorporated into development. Canterbury's Roman pavement is such an example as is our very own unique Bronze Age Boat.

Can I also just quickly thank Andy for his brilliant post in which he excellently summarised what many of us think, but dare not print!

end link