Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

From Keef: "Dover is lucky to get all these cruise liners
    do we really encourage them to visit the Town?"

Of course we don't Keef, to echo what DaveL said.

And quite frankly, until such time as there's something tangible in the town to entice them, rather than just embarrass us Dovorians who still care about the poor old place, then that's the way it should remain.

Of course, the castle, the museum and the Town Hall are fabulous (as is the unique and criminally undervalued Roman Painted House), but what an appalling impression Townwall Street, the underpass and the crumbling remains of Bench Street and King Street create (and don't get me started on where The Crypt used to be, nor 'Damages' in Castle Street). Gateway to England? Yeah, right. Not any more it ain't, sadly. Clogged artery of this sick puppy of a country, more like.

Frankly I'd keep these ever-elusive 'tourists' well at arms length from the town centre until things are seriously tarted up.

A while back I embarrassingly had to direct a very nice American couple to Dunkerley's in Deal from Dover Market Square as they struggled in vain to find a proper fish restaurant. In Dover. By the sea. Selling Dover Sole. They were aghast (this was before Dave Flynn's fine restaurant The Allotment opening, for sure).

Any news on the flattening of Burlington House et al? Call me a cynic but I'll believe it when I see it, and no sooner. Are 'Chavsda' getting twitchy?

I know there are lots of good people trying their best to get the town off its knees blah blah blah, but turning Dover into Whitfield New Town's mega-lorry zone seems a more likely, and horrific, scenario unless the juggernauts (every pun intended) who are ruining dear Dubris can be stopped.

Regards all,

Andy

end link