Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Just got back from Cyprus, so haven't posted for a while.

The Norwegian Jewel is indeed a great ship and will use Dover for the summer - it's so good in fact, that Jean and I are going on a cruise on it at the end of May - to the Baltic States and St. Petersburg.

It is true that we don't encourage people to come into Dover as much as we should, but we are restrained by the very cruise companies that visit Dover.

As has been said many times, the cruise companies make a large fortune on their day excursions, which I don't deny them, but those who would just like to visit Dover are hampered by the fact that the cruise-welcome group have been told by those very same cruise companies NOT to be pro-active, but to wait behind their desk until a cruise passenger approaches them and asks if they have any information on Dover.

This is completely wrong, absolutely completely wrong. It's not difficult to see who is walking through in a determined way to get on their excursion and who is just ambling through looking for what to do and how to do it; these are the people the cruise welcome group should be talking to.

The cruise welcome group must be allowed to be pro-active, but the cruise lines are adamant - just be passive.

The Market Square has Horace Holyer on cruise days directing and helping people find out what they can see and do - and he does a great job, but by the time they have found the Market Square, they are probably worn out.

There is a bus service that collects people from the terminal and brings them to the market square, I believe it also goes up to the Castle, but we have much more to see than just the Castle and so funds should be found to underwrite a local tourist bus to take people on a round-robin tour visiting the local places we have.

Roger

end link