Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Its just the Dover shop closing I understand. But I am also guilty of not giving them all my business/ or is it they dont fit modern practice? We have reps calling almost daily with cut price offers so that my secretary just choses out of a book and its delivered within 24 hours.

Lessons and comparables to be learnt here. Its like internet purchases. A business must learn what the market wants and adapt to that. purchasing is becoming global with the internet and with parking, fuel and other restrictions such as time pressures.

The kind of shop that now makes up the town will be driven by different forces.

One of my favourite shops now closed was the Catering outlet Acme at buckland it had a super range of stuff for parties and cooks. I buy it on the internet now as I dont know of a comparable shop.

In any case , and it applies to my business as well, the day of the small one man band is limited. After HIPs they are bringing in rules now which will make it exceedingly difficult to continue as a small practice. Of course lead by the banner of the big London based companies that set the rules and would drive the little shop out of business. The day of the small surveying practice is finite too - thank goodness so is mine!

end link