Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

At District Council level and upwards the size and complexity of budget and the responsibilities makes the elimination of party politics inappropriate. Party politics has a clear benefit in providing for the public clear programmes on which to relate and sets of values and attitudes by which they can judge those up for election. Labels can tell you a lot in this context. I do agree at Town Council level though, about the elimination of Party politics, I see no reason for it because of the lack of statutory responsibilities.

Andrew, I have to disagree that it makes no difference. In my direct experience there is a huge difference in the approach between the Parties. It is the difference between, say, what a group of teachers/social workers would do and what a group of businessmen would do in running a Council's affairs. It would be very different and with extremely different priorities.

These differences are however somewhat muted by the level of interference and dependance upon central government. This results in a quite dramatic reduction in local freedom and the ability to address local issues and priorities.

I believe that the 'localist' agenda that is catching on in the Conservative Party is the way forward, reducing the influence of the centre on Local Government.

One thing that must be done and as yet I have not seen a clear policy in this direction, is to totally change the way Local Government is financed. Councils can only be truly accountable and address local priorities when they are fully responsible for collecting what they spend.

I dont believe a local income tax is the way forward as is proposed in Scotland, that is a big mistake that will haunt the SNP in years to come. Personally I would like to see a mix of a re-aligned Council tax and a local sales tax (replacing VAT) with the sales tax being levied on a County wide basis (not District). Plus, of course, business rates, set locally, collected locally and spent locally.

The complexities of changing Local Government finance is such that I suspect that with the economic crisis it wont be addressed until a second Conservative term of Government.

end link