Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I know this isn't a Dover story but I'd be interested to know what others feel about it.
    Councillor Ward has resigned following his comment that in his opinion families living on benefits should be sterilized. There was outcry from his party (conservative) but I wonder how many agree with him if the truth be known. In a poll 80% of those asked agreed with him, saying why should those of us who do things properly and work for a living subsidise those who are content to sit on their backsides and let the state keep them. How many young girls these days get pregnant just to get benefits and a council house, an awful lot it seems.
    This arose over the revelation that the mother of the little girl found recently has seven children by five different fathers.
    I think we have to think what sort of lives these children are in for. They will grow up thinking it's ok to live off the state, to only have one parent, to have a succession of different adults in their lives etc. Is it any wonder that young people get into so much trouble, they have no guidance or self worth.
    Before anyone starts accusing me of being nasty - I'm not referring to ALL single parents here.Obviously some are single because of bereavement or divorce among other reasons. But there are those who have unprotected sex then get pregnant and end up living on benefits. This is not good for the parent or the child in the long term.
    I heard of an incident recently, not in Dover, where a single mum with five kids argued with a bus driver. She asked him "Who the hell do you think you are? I pay your wages" to which he replied " No darlin', I think you'll find I pay yours!" How true!
    So I think Councillor Ward was right, and I suspect a lot of other people do too. What do you think?

end link