Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I have not had the time to look inside this week yet, but will try to this weekend. I must admit, the whole enterprise seems somewhat enigmatic to me - but I suppose that's Art in a nutshell to many of us!

It is good to see a gallery set up in Dover, but as with some of the posters above I fear for the long term future of the site. I don't think it has been well advertised - but that's hardly something new for Dover. I only found out about it the day before the opening as I happened to be in the Louis where the opening party was to be held.

More worrying is the lack of advertising. There seems to be no posters on the front of the Charlton Centre where the public walk past. To find it, one must be on the way to the dark and dingy 20p toilet and glance up the stairs!

Given that the rent space for a single unit in the Charlton Centre is £16-22k pa (and yes, I have seen the brochure), I don't see how this poor town could generate enough trade to keep it ticking over.

Still, good luck to the artists with this. I just hope it works out well, but they really need to promote themselves outside the Art circle a lot better if this gallery stands a rat's chance to survive.

end link