Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

DT1 - you do not help the less well off by punishing the successful, or taxing them excessively. I look at the amount of tax I am paying this week, more than I have ever paid before and I begrudge it because too much of it is being wasted and I am not what you would call a particularly big earner (not very far into the 40p bracket). By raising the top rates of tax you just damage revenues, the IFS has shown how the 50p rate will reduce revenue not raise it. That rate was set as a politically motivated move and not to get more money in and is wrong, simply wrong. Its not greed its about incentives, rewards for enterprise and hard work and looking after your own family without expecting handouts from the State. Our whole economy depends on successful people taking risks damage the incentives and rewards for that and you will lose jobs and tax revenue.

Taxation is not the way to improve upwards mobility, far from it.

If we really want to help upward mobility then we must raise expectation in the classrooms. A Grammar school in every town, streaming in the classroom, tougher exams and an end to the all must have prizes culture that infects so much educational established thinking. Back to good old fashion competition in the classroom and outside. Too many people are look to provide excuses and labels for poor behaviour and poor performance, there should be no excuses, all should be held responsible for themselves.

Yes I am very much to the right of DC (and CE) in this!

end link