Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

The Panasonic Lumix range is very highly thought of. I think they even have a tie up with Leica off the top of my head so it would probably be a good brand name to stick with. They do a range from the lower end to some fairly sublime looking devices at the higher end.

What you say about your camera there Big Dave seems to indicate that it has one knock too many and something is internally out of alignment. When they get to that stage its time to chuck it in and go for a new one. But I think that cameras are very price/performance conscious....thats my experience anyway. You see lots of cheaper ones advertised but I wouldnt touch em with a bargepole as they dont deliver.

The most successful all round camera we've got which we use constantly on doverforum is our Canon Compact Powershot A650. It was a fairly high end one, well for a compact, and cost at the time roughly £450 - £500, but gosh it delivers and does everything from long distance, very long distance, to close up and at 12.1million pixels too. It has been superseded now so is no longer available, if it was I would be tempted to get another one. But Canon is another brand that you can feel confident with. They have a nice G10 at the moment on a good offer, as it has been superseded by the G11. The G11 has fewer pixels rather oddly. The G10 wont be available for too much longer judging by how these things have gone in the past.

Because BB did great pictures in our Boulogne feature last summer I figured it was time I bought her a camera for Christmas so opted for the Samsung WB-500 which looks as though it might deliver although its hardly out of the box yet. It has a wider than usual facility which comes in handy for building work and so on...there is also a WB-550 which has slighly higher spec.

My feeling is with cameras its always best to go higher up the ladder costwise. There are a whole range of very good makes out there right now...and on Digital SLRs the prices have never been as competitive.

end link