Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Please take the time to read this.
    Sale prompts bid to protect historic sites.
    The former Army careers development information office, next to Dover Castle and the historic Mote,s Bulwark gun battery has been sold.
    Maltby,s chartered surveyors of Gravesend,has sold a 120-year lease on the site.A company spokesman said they could not disclose the buyer.
    The land is s close to the historical sites of Dover Castl Conservation Area and the Mote,s Bulwark,a 16th to 18th-century gun battery, that there are strict regulations to ensure any development does not have an adverse effect on them.
    But before any development can take place, provision must be made for an archaelogical evaluation.
    Possible uses outlined in the district council,slocal plan, include office development,residential,or tourist accommodation.
    Redevelopment of the site will only be permitted if it preserves or enhances the character or appearance of the castle conservation area.
    It must also be acceptable in terms of traffic generation and access and the design must reflect the importance of the site as the entrance to the town.
    Mote,s Bulwark was one of the three gun batteries built as part of the harbour defences.It is now owned by English Heritage.
    Last May, town councillor Vic Matcham suggested it could unlock tourist potenial if a chair-lift could be installed and tea rooms were built on the site.
    The date this was in the Dover Mercurywas the 17th of February 2005, at that time I had send letters out to the D.H.B. who wrote back to me with their support and also I wrote and had a meeting with English Heritage they did say at that time it could happen alsoI send out letters to the D.D.C. and I had my own meeting about it at the D.T.C. I send out plans of the site and what it could look like.Also at that time the Dover Mercury wrote about the Gun batteries the reporter then was Mr Jeff Howe, I must say I did think I was on to a winner then. I had about four trys over 10years to try and get the lift put in.
    I know some of you think all I do is talk but that is not true.

I remain yours faithfully Vic Matcham

end link