Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I am turning round on the cable car (of a sort) idea slowly. The Castle is the most important visitor attraction for the town with a number of major improvements taking place over the coming few years:

- The Keep rebranded as the "Great Tower" with more relevant interpretation and displays, giving a more professional appearance - started now til August

- New visitor admissions and welcome centre to be opened next year

- The Officers' Mess is apparently going to be a historical archive.

- Improvements to the Underground Works

- Work to the Secret Wartime Tunnels to allow for greater throughput (though unlikely to be the DUMPY level)

- works next year to the Bleriot Memorial

At present the Castle gets 300,000+ visitors a year which they hope to increase by 25% at least over the last couple of years. It is certainly getting busier - the Monday of the autumn half term it was heaving with people to the sites capacity. Next year they are planning more events than ever by the sounds of it.

To get more visitors on the current set-up is not viable as it was never built to take this many people !! At the moment Dover is a day-trip location - pop into Dover to the Castle and back home in the day. With the improvements to this and in the town it is hoped to make Dover a weekend venue and keep people into town.

If they have a better access to the Castle (I prefer the idea of a funicular railway or access via the tunnels that are honeycombing the hill) they can get the visitor numbers required. Have somewhere decent to stay and another attraction on the Heights. Get the 'ASDA' area with decent shops, Wellington Dock have the bars and restaurants and the nightlife that the town needs.

Everything individually may seem odd, but I think the future could be orange if everything and everyone works together......

end link