Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Peter Mandelson today, on Sky news, indicated that there will be a debate between the Party Leaders during the next election....

In the past such debates have been avoided in the UK by sitting PMs and advocated by opposition leaders.

Problem is within a hour of Mandelson saying this no10 poured cold water on the idea.

I can see Mandy's thinking. Received wisdom is that debates benefit the underdog and there is not much doubt now that when the election starts Brown will be that underdog. A debate, in his mind, will be a desperate attempt to claw back ground in the hope that DC and not Brown has a slip of the tongue that would breathe new life into the Labour campaign.

There is a flaw in that argument. Look back at PMQs - it is Brown who has repeated 'slips of the tongue', remember 'I saved the world' for one! Cameron on the other hand is very sure footed and wins most encounters hands down.

In addition Brown is a very poor communicator, remember his embarrassing U-Tube forays. The more the public see of Brown the more he turns them off, whereas it is the opposite for DC, he really is a master at communicating and very good on tv.

Mandelson, who seems to be Minister for Everything these days and, I believe, the 'acting PM' at this point in the holidays, may well get his way with this desperate throw of the dice despite the official line from no10. Be assured though, if a debate is arranged it will really indicate a desperate Brown.

Bring it on I say - a debate between the main 3 party leaders will envigorate and focus an election campaign.

Right now I do believe that Cameron and the Conservatives have a distinct advantage, but once the genie is out of the bottle such debates will be expected at every election and the advantage may well one day be the other way around....

end link