Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I see a small item in the Dover Express is reporting a boost in local tourism in the White Cliffs Area..from Sandwich to Deal to Dover etc. It seems that the local industry has had its best year since 1976 according to some.

Dover Castle has had its best year in seven years and the local Guesthouses have been reporting increased occupancy. So thats all good news.

The collapse of the value of the Pound in relation to the Euro has, it seems, brought in loads more tourists from the near continent. An extra factor too in this boost, was that more people from the UK stayed in the UK. Although that might sound a tad dull, thats whats happening. As for me personally I had two continental holidays at enormous cost..it felt like enormous cost even though the holidays were relatively humble, because the pound went nowhere on the continent.

We spoke about this general tourist topic didnt we, at the beginning of the summer when an item on TV highlighted Walletts Court, saying the UK was bracing itself for a bumper year.

Well it looks like the predictions came through..it was a bumper year.
    But how much of this 'bumperism' permeated itself down through the leafy streets of downtown Dover I would love to know...are we still being bypassed for the greener pastures of Canterbury and beyond?

end link