Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Thank you Tom, very evocative.
    Jeane, I wish I had taken more notice of Nan and Grandad ( both Somerset born and bred) as their knowledge of the countryside was amazing. I think Nan would have been called a witch in the middle ages! I recall the smell of freshly baked bread, warming stews, cinder toffee and taffy in huge trays waiting to be bashed with a hammer into mouth sized pieces. Jars of preserved fruit, often with a splash of Nans fruit bandy for extra flavour.
    Boxing day was the family gathering, we used doors balanced across chairs, padded with quilts so that we grandchildren could reach a table groaning with the weight of delicious home baked fayre.
    The highlight of the day was watching Grandad crunch through pickled onions with his one and only front tooth!!
    The most important and precious thing they gave me was time, I could not have asked for a better childhood, to love and be loved is priceless.

end link