Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

This is not a Party political issue, but one about broadcasting standards, hence this section.

Did anyone else watch the election night coverage on the BBC?

I was switching between the 'Beeb' and Sky News during the Thursday night and was watching up to about 3am, then again on Friday evening for the Boris election, so I have a pretty good feel for how each were presenting.

Most of the time I tend to attend the count so it is unusual for me to be able to see so much coverage.

What struck me was how poor the BBC was. The Jeremy Vine cowboy bit was particularly pointless and cringemaking. Cannot the beeb get it into their heads that anyone watching at that time would have a real interest in politics and would not be impressed with such antics. Dont get me wrong, there is plenty of room for some fun with the presentations, but there is a fine line between fun and stupidity and frankly the Beeb totally lost it.

In addition they were well behind Sky with the results, by a significant margin. Their running totals were wrong, significantly understating Labour losses and Tory gains. Sky's running totals were spot on and tied up with the independent figures provided by the politicshome website. Interestingly most of the print media (including Tory papers) used the figures provided by the BBC, what (used to be) a trusted source.

It seems to me that the BBC has totally lost the plot, at least as far as their news and current affairs coverage. They have recently had to admit their pro-EU bias. Their overall political coverage has for a long time also had a left of centre (as opposed to Labour) bias.

Sky were far better in every way both nights. Sadly there seems to be a move from Sky to remove Sky News from Freeview onto a terrestial subscription package. I really hope Ofcom block that, I now would certainly miss their coverage.

If the BBC are to justify retaining their licence fee then they must start getting their act together. Right now they are not earning their priviledged position.

end link