Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I used ASDA at South Woodham Ferrers back in the early '80's Roger, so they were in country at that time.

Now, with all this mud flying around I'm finding myself very confused when trying to establish who is responsible for the current DTIZ shambles. DDC has been working on DTIZ for about 20 years or so, and then someone allows Morrisons to open a store very close to a key development, and also, literally within spitting distance of Netto.

Didn't anyone think, "hey, won't this cause a problem!"?

Who, in their right mind would seriously think a small, hard-up town like Dover would want/need to have Tesco/Netto/Aldi/Co-Op/Somerfield/Asda/Spar/Morrisons, all within relatively easy reach of each other. You've got to say, given the lack of other amenities in the town, that it smacks either of laziness somewhere, or, simple abysmal town planning.

I would also like to know the Chamber of Trade view of events as surely they were consulted about this development. I hope not actually because it would be a staggering confession for professional businessmen/women to have missed the blatant over-saturation of our town in supermarkets. They would surely have seen something has to give and strongly advised against yet another supermarket. Or were they blinded by the prospect of something actually happening in Dover that they just nodded complicitly?

There is so much more I would like to say on this subject, but I will stop here for the moment.

Nevertheless, I am happy we've got Morrisons even though I won't ever use their store and delighted that prime site in our town is to be given a second chance of actually housing something that will attract visitors rather than local shoppers. Maybe this is the site for the Dover Spinnaker Tower?

end link