Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

The sweetshop past the Town Hall...the butcher past the king's Hall...the baker past the Charlton Centre.... This highlights the problem that Rick refers to. Who is going to walk from one end of town to the other when the same goods can be bought at one out-of-town centre where the parking is free or when the internet brings them to your door? I remember working in Broadstairs when it was proposed that Sainsbury's be built at Westwood in addition to the already existing Co-op hypermarket. There was huge uproar and indignation from the shopkeepers of the High Street but then when I, as a worker, could get to the High Street -lunchtime and after 5.00p.m. - the shops were more often than not shut! If it was Wednesday afternoon there was no point at all. 20th century practice in the 21st century isn't going to succeed.
    As I mentioned on another thread the services are spread too thinly in Dover and it can only be a matter of time before they all close - nostalgia and loyalty don't pay the bills as Woolies found to their cost.

Mark

end link