Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

"Dover town councillors are being asked to decide whether a community interest company set up by a councillor and a business colleague should run the new shop and refurbished toilets on the seafront.

Dover businessman Ross Miller and former mayor Sue Jones, who is a member of both the town and district councils, set the company up in February because they wanted to try to get more local projects up and running to benefit the town, and to boost tourism.

Called Pebbles Community Facilities, it is a company limited by guarantee, of which Mr Miller and Cllr Jones are the directors. Apart from the wages of any staff they employ, the profits go back into the company, and, if it were to be dissolved, the proceeds would go to a Dover-based charity. Cllr Jones told the Mercury: "We are combining my experience in retail and Ross's experience in project management, hopefully for the benefit of Dover."

The former toilets at the East Cliff end of the seafront have been closed for some time, and the district council, town council and Dover Harbour Board formed a partnership to refurbish the building and lease it to a private company to run it.

Cllr Jones had previously been chairman of the town council committee which dealt with the project, but before she and Mr Miller submitted their bid to run the enterprise, she declared an interest and took no further part in any discussions or decisions to do with it.

The town council has taken advice on whether all the proper procedures have been followed.

If the council decides that it has to be advertised again, the facility will not be open this summer.

If the go-ahead is given, Cllr Jones said the plan is to run it as a shop, selling souvenirs and items which can be used on the beach, as well as ice creams and drinks"

On the final points, I myself have other thoughts, but local knowledge is key.

Its not too soon to show interest, and I hope that employees' interest will be warmly welcomed.

P.S.
    I now see why you linked these stories Howard...well done.

Thank you JimM.

end link