Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I caught iCam on Radio 5 the other day stating that he proposed continuing with spending some nebulous and arbitrary percentage of GDP on foreign aid. I sent him the following:-

'Whilst not objecting per se to overseas aid (I have a monthly standing order to ShelterBox), I am at a loss to understand why we are paying one penny piece to India (c.£1 billion over last three years) who can afford their own Space Program, or China (£38 million last year) who spent £20 million on holding the Olympics.

I'd be grateful for your observations.''

The bottom line is that I got a very bland reply from his correspondence secretary one Anne Biles (who I just HAD to e-mail back to point out that her name is an anagram of En Lesbian).

Meanwhile, yesterday I read in the Times, that HMG give (taxpayers) money to the TUC from the Overseas Aid Budget for them to promote Trade Unionism overseas (£2.4 million 2009 - 2011!). The TUC, of course, in turn fund the Labour Party..... You really could not make this up!

Frankly I can not understand why we are paying one penny piece in Foreign Aid to anyone other than for disaster relief.

I would be interested to hear other forumites (dread word) views....

end link